Monday, August 4, 2008

Monkey is on the prowl


This is Monkey. He spends four months of each year living on an island at Manitoba Pioneer Camp. Monkey is the Program Director's cat. I think Monkey believes he is the director. He gives most people attitude, but if you're nice to him (and he's hungry), he'll come near and roll around on the ground.

He is known for keeping the mouse population under control, senselessly killing bats and bunnies, and for his kitty dreads. These formulate on his back near his tail. He's simply too fat to clean there properly. You'd think all the exercise of camp would keep his wieght down, but I'm sure he spends more time lazing around in the sun on the porch than he does swimming or canoeing.

Most camp folk do not like Monkey. This photo was taken by Alli and Jordan, two campers who are obsessed with him. They laughed at the formation of his left paw in this photo and wonder about him. I laughed at his eyes. Check out the intense stare. Monkey is on the prowl!

My personal feelings about Monkey: he's a cat, so of course I like him. I enjoy when he rolls on the ground in front of me and gets pine needles, twigs, and dirt stuck in his fur. It's funny. I don't enjoy his kitty dreads. A little while ago someone shaved them off and left a square clearing on his back. I prefer to pet Monkey with a stick.

1 comment:

RTF said...

Cute! I'm a fan of Monkey.